Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

11.08.2011

Further Machinations

It was supposed to be a pretty simple project: Build up an old mountain bike frame with a wide range of gears, studded tires, fenders, and a rack.

It's never that simple. A bike with that much "stuff" on it gets pretty cramped. Derailers run into fenders. Chainrings want to hit the frame. Brake straddle cables hit fenders. Then you get the whole thing together and the riding position, (with the saddle at the "right" height) ends up resulting in a 15 centimeter drop to the handlebars, which is, shall we say, a wee bit aggressive for a bike that is meant to be mashed through a season of Vermont roadside snow.

Anyway.

I got most of the thing together. Ran out of electric tape to finish the bars off. The front brake is wonky. The shifting on the chainrings sort of works.

Here's an in-progress picture:

Final pictures to come.

Meanwhile, in minivelo-land, I wrote a long post recently about all of the changes I made to it (mostly cosmetic, changing cable housings and bar tape from black to white to match the saddle). But I didn't get a picture of it until this weekend:

Sadly, though it isn't visible in the picture, the rear tire is flat. Again. Even though I put a rim protection strip in it. I'll have to take a look at it. The little bit of riding I did with the bike this weekend was a joy though, and the new gearing (with the big 56-tooth ring up front) is excellent. Too bad nasty weather season is about to be upon us.

In other news, I'm back up on the rollers indoors and the nice weather has held such that I can stay on the 460 fixie for another week or so before the winter rig truly needs to be put to use. Even though we did have a little crankbolt incident the other day that resulted in a hasty office-supply repair to get me home:
Yeah, that's a zip-tie.

It's all better now.

If course, the basement is a total wreck now, with bike parts and bits of cable slung every which way. I'm looking forward to getting the shop all cleaned up, and I hope to build an actual workbench over the winter.