Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

12.15.2011

Brewing Journal: Batch 11 Kegged, Batch 12 Tasted


Kegged Batch #11 Hard Cider and tasted Batch #12 British Bitter. 

British Bitter is nice and mild, more of a caramel aftertaste than I would like, no hop aroma, just gentle bitterness and carbonation on the tongue at the end. I did try for natural carbonation in the keg with a generous half-cup of sugar, but even after two full weeks followed by extensive chilling, there were not enough bubbles to my taste. Perhaps the basement is too cool for vigorous fermentation at this point. Anyway, that’s what C02 and a kegging setup is for. A few weeks at 36 degrees on 12 pounds of pressure carobonated the beer to 2.67 volumes- high for the style but balancing whatever un-fermented malt is in there. Very easy drinking and a good pair with roasted meats and other winter fare. 

The cider was an adventure. I boiled 2 pounds of lactose in 32 ounces of water and tried to add it to the fermenter to ensure good mixing before putting it all in the keg. The cider in the fermenter immediately foamed up and I lost a pint or three as I worked to get it under control. I put the rest of the lactose solution into the keg and topped it with the cider- so I have a full keg with more lactose than last year but it may not be the full two pounds. I have chilled the keg and put it on 20 pounds of pressure at 36 degrees. I’ll bottle some of it from the keg.