Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

1.17.2012

Brewing journal: Batch 13: Greenbelt DIPA

1/16/2012
Brewed batch #13 Greenbelt Double IPA. First time with the big kettle and the chiller. I started with 6 gallons of spring water in the pot and it took well over an hour on the stove to reach anything even approximating a boil. 2.5 pounds of various steeping grains at 155 for 25 minutes, then the “boil-” 11 pounds of light malt syrup. bittering hops, flavor hops at 15 minutes. I messed up and missed a half ounce that were supposed to go in for aroma at 5 minutes, too excited about the chiller.  I’ll put them in for the dry hop at the end. The chiller worked very well, through in my excitement I forgot to turn off the burner for the first few minutes of chilling. I had the wort down to a temperature of 75 degrees in 15 minutes. I was able to move the chiller around and get a whirlpool going, which made siphoning easier without getting too much hop gunk. Nevertheless, moving chunky wort through the siphon was not ideal and it makes me nervous about infection issues.

I ended up with a little over 5.5 gallons in the fermeter, which is what the kit instructions said I should have. Gravity was 1.075, close to the target of 1.077 called out by the kit. It smelled wonderful. I made a one-quart starter with a 1.040 wort and a smack pack of Wyeast “Greenbelt” and pitched that starter after 30 hours, not really high krausen but with about a half inch of yeast sediment in the starter. I observed some signs of fermentation within an hour and moderate fermentation within 18 hours.  

I’ll put a hole in the kettle soon enough to do a spigot. I may also get a big tea ball so I can dry hop right in the keg. I’m planning on a 5-6 week primary for this beer with no secondary and two weeks in the keg for natural carbonation before the first taste. Realistically I won’t plan on drinking much of it until the beginning of April.

The first outing with the big kettle and full boil was an overall success, but I can tell I need to get this operation outside. The shopping list now includes a weldless bulkhead kit to make draining the kettle easier, an outdoor propane burner with a tank of gas to make the boil faster and more vigorous (and to get things out of the kitchen!) a big tea ball to dry-hop this beer in the keg, and a new piece of tubing for my autosiphon so I won’t stay up nights worrying about infections.