Batch #14 Super Alt. I have had this kit for way too long, and the viability of the yeast was a question in my mind. I made a 1-Liter 1.040 starter wort and allowed it to work for five days before brewing. I had a pretty good yeast sediment in the flask after that and decided to go for it.
I went with a 5 gallon instead of a six gallon boil this time, but it seemed like it took even longer to get up to temperature. I may try a 4-gallon partial boil with make-up water next time instead. Anyway, I steeped my grains and then boiled the three pounds of Munich malt syrup in five gallons of faucet water with 1.5 ounces of “German Tradition” hops at 60 minutes, 1 ounce Hersbrucker at 30 minutes, .5oz Hersbrucker at 15 minutes. .5 ounces at 5 minutes. There is another ounce of Hersbrucker that will be used to dry-hop. Also at the 15 minute mark, I added two pounds of DME (Wheat and Pale Malt) and another 3lbs of Munich malt syrup. The chiller worked wonders, chilling to 75 degrees in just under 10 minutes. I added about ahalf gallon of water to get the volume just over five gallons, then pitched the entire liter of starter wort. I observed slight fermentation within a few hours and more vigorous fermentation at the 8 hour mark. Hooray yeast! Starting gravity was 1.06
I’m going to have to move to smaller partial boils until I can get this rig outside. It’s just too much for the stovetop to handle, and I’m not getting a very vigorous boil. I also managed to break the end off of my autosiphon this time when I took it apart for cleaning and will have to do some repair work to make it functional again.