Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

1.30.2012

Brewing Journal: Batch #14 Super Alt

Batch #14 Super Alt. I have had this kit for way too long, and the viability of the yeast was a question in my mind. I made a 1-Liter 1.040 starter wort and allowed it to work for five days before brewing. I had a pretty good yeast sediment in the flask after that and decided to go for it.

I went with a 5 gallon instead of a six gallon boil this time, but it seemed like it took even longer to get up to temperature. I may try a 4-gallon partial boil with make-up water next time instead. Anyway, I steeped my grains and then boiled the three pounds of Munich malt syrup in five gallons of faucet water with 1.5 ounces of “German Tradition” hops at 60 minutes, 1 ounce Hersbrucker at 30 minutes, .5oz Hersbrucker at 15 minutes. .5 ounces at 5 minutes. There is another ounce of Hersbrucker that will be used to dry-hop.  Also at the 15 minute mark, I added two pounds of DME (Wheat and Pale Malt) and another 3lbs of Munich malt syrup. The chiller worked wonders, chilling to 75 degrees in just under 10 minutes. I added about ahalf gallon of water to get the volume just over five gallons, then pitched the entire liter of starter wort. I observed slight fermentation within a few hours and more vigorous fermentation at the 8 hour mark. Hooray yeast! Starting gravity was 1.06

I’m going to have to move to smaller partial boils until I can get this rig outside. It’s just too much for the stovetop to handle, and I’m not getting a very vigorous boil. I also managed to break the end off of my autosiphon this time when I took it apart for cleaning and will have to do some repair work to make it functional again.