Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

6.22.2012

Strava Thoughts

Some cyclists like Strava, some don't. Cycling seems to attract Luddites and purists in an equal proportion to technophiles and gear geeks, so I guess that's no surprise. I signed up, even threw a widget on the blog here so the dear reader may be underwhelmed by my efforts of cycling heroism ====>

A guy died recently while trying to "win" a downhill Strava segment in California. His family is suing the company.  I personally don't really see the point of the downhill segments, as downhill speed can be as much about willingness to take risks as they are about bike handling. Uphill segments are about physical fitness, unless somebody drives up one, having forgotten to turn their GPS off.

When I first started using Strava, my 305 was still working. I recorded every ride, each and every little commute, and dutifully uploaded it as soon as I could connect the GPS to the computer. Then, the 305 died for the last time and I had no GPS for awhile. I managed to "ungift" an old Forerunner 201 from my iPhone-having Brother-in-Law and I was off to the races again. Except. The 201 is horrible at picking up satellites. It worked OK for a while, (often taking up to 10 minutes to get a fix, resulting in much standing around in driveways and office parking lots, waiting to take off for/leave from work while time was a-wasting), and then it just stopped getting a signal at all.

Then the other day it turned on and everything was fine. Solar Flares? Russians jamming the signal? Who knows?
Old Tech is Old

So I'm back, but having followed my usual pattern with new technology (rapid adoption, fervent use, total abandonment, and eventual, moderate integration) I doubt I'll be recording every commute any more. It just isn't worth the hassle. I ride 13 miles a day, Monday through Friday, same route, usually 15-16 miles per hour. There is one segment on the ride in that I care about, so sometimes I'll record a sprint on that segment just to see if I can move up the leaderboard. Mostly, though, I'll probably use Strava for running and longer bike rides. It's a fun tool, I enjoy being able to share my cycling exploits without always having to verbalize them, and I hope it might even be a tool to help promote Vermont Indoor Cycling some more next winter.

What I like about Strava is that I get a chance to know what my fellow riders are up to and to tell them the same. We don't get to ride together very often, as our schedules rarely line up, and it keeps us in touch. That and sometimes it inspires me to sprint the last hill into Williston Village at stomach-churning, taste-of-pennies-in-the-back-of-your-mouth levels of effort when I would otherwise never do so.