Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

3.06.2013

Nice Share the Road piece from AAA and the LAB, but...




Why, I was riding on Williston Road just the other day and it was totally like this!

No, wait, it wasn't.

I was in the left lane (westbound) waiting to turn left onto 116. There was a steady green light but oncoming traffic so I couldn't go. I waited patiently, signalling my turn so the drivers behind me would understand why I wasn't going. Not good enough for the driver of the white pickup with various aftermarket parts manufacturer's stickers displayed in the rear window.

He gave his engine an impotent but terrifying rev, then took off around me, using half of the right lane to do so and disrupting traffic in the process, clearing me by inches. The fact that he had a license plate and registration made no difference, nor would it have if I had had one on my bike.

I would love to have had him follow me home around the corner, where he could have met my beautiful 2 year old son, and where he could have seen that son give me a bigger hug than he looked capable of giving, happy that his adored father was home. But no, 30 seconds at the light and making a point were more important than all that, let alone the well-being of a fellow human.