Gone Fishin'

HEY!

I'm not actively blogging here anymore. But if you got here because you were searching for something about bikes, you might want to check out my latest project, Vermont Goldsprints. In summer of 2014, I bought a used goldsprints racing setup and have made it a mission to get more bikes in more people's faces by putting on fun races in unexpected places. Come join me!

9.04.2013

Brewing Journal: Batch #15 Pumpkin Ale

Catching up. I brewed my last batch, a Wee Heavy (#14) in February of 2012 and haven’t brewed since. The Wee heavy was OK but not great, and I’d say we dumped about half of it. It just never really fermented out properly.  Then, other priorities including exercise, fitness, and a toddler took over. I got a beautiful Blichman burner for Christmas in 2012 and picked up a tank of gas for it as well. I just got a (#15) Northern Brewer Pumpkin Ale kit at the end of August 2013 and just brewed it, on gas, in the driveway this weekend. outdoor brewing was excellent and the Blichman performed admirably. I got a better hot break than I have ever seen before and chilling with the chiller was also nice and fast. Fermentation took off within hours and has been vigorous in the last few hours. I started with about 6 gallons of water and boiled off to an even 5 after a one hour boil. Probably I would start with 7.5 gallons in the future.